Who We Are
LIMIAR is a non-profit organization, advocating
for children in Brazil. LIMIAR is child-centered, representing the child and upholding the child's interest as its main concern. LIMIAR's only goal is the betterment of needy children's conditions TODAY.
LIMIAR is non-governmental, non-affiliated, and does not have a political philosophy. While non-sectarian, LIMIAR attempts to follow the Christian faith.
LIMIAR is maintained through voluntary contributions.
The Portuguese word, limiar, refers to the threshold of a doorway.
This word symbolizes the act of crossing over to a new beginning.
Advocating for Needy Children
Since our beginning in 1984, many children have been helped through LIMIAR's efforts. Our advocating for needy children has included:
- Sheltering abandoned and special needs children in CASA LIMIAR.
- Providing children with specialized medical care, surgery, psychological orientation and physical therapy.
- Providing funds for basic needs and medication for disabled and sickly children in poor families so institutionalization is avoided.
- Giving scholarships to adolescents to pursue pre-professional classes.
In September 2003, the first child entered CASA LIMIAR, a home for 15 abandoned and/or disabled children in São Paulo city. That date marked the culmination of a dream that began 21 months earlier: to create a home for the most forgotten child and to nurture and nourish until he has reached his physical potential, seeing that a future with promise lies ahead.
The home is located in the southern part of the city. It contains 5 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, living room, dining room, and more plus a beautiful yard with fruit trees, singing birds and even an occasional small monkey! Our vision had been to rent a house, but because of the generosity of many, we were able to purchase this building and property! We were also able to make modifications to the building - widening doorways and walkways, lowering sinks, mounting handrails and window protection, and building ramps at entrances.
The children who now have come to CASA LIMIAR have many needs and concerns: Rombergs Syndrome, Muscular Dystrophy, epilepsy, hearing loss, congenital birth defects such as club feet or open palate. Each child sees various medical specialists, some need surgery, some need therapies, some need special classes at school ... but each needs a chance to be a child. What we do for our children, we will do for these children. There will be birthday parties, outings to the zoo and beach, summer camps, Sunday School attendance, school uniforms and supplies, good manners taught and encouragement given. The objective is to put them on the path to good health, education and independence with the knowledge that God loves them and that God's people care for them.
Men's Tennessee Titans Locker Label Contour Flip Flops,Detroit Lions Wilson "The Duke" Official Size Replica Game Football.Denver Broncos Brown Distressed Leather Duffel Bag,Men's Chicago Bears Nike Navy Blue Wordmark T-Shirt 2016 Tennessee Titans Jerseys For Sale
.Houston Texans Klew Navy Patches Crew Neck Ugly Sweater,Men's Cleveland Browns Junk Food White/Black All American 3/4 Sleeve Raglan T-Shirt,Women's Washington Redskins John Riggins Nike Burgundy Retired Game Jersey.Mens Green Bay Packers Nike Green KO Chain Fleece Pullover Performance Hoodie,Men's Chicago Bears Majestic Gray Critical Victory Muscle T-Shirt,Women's Philadelphia Eagles Junk Food Black Sideline V-Neck T-Shirt.Women's Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones Nike Red Game Jersey,Men's New Orleans Saints Majestic Charcoal Victory Pride Long Sleeve T-Shirt Official Nike Tennessee Titans Jerseys
.Women's Los Angeles Rams New Era Navy Sideline Plus 9TWENTY Adjustable Hat,Mens San Diego Chargers New Era Navy Blue 39THIRTY Team Classic Flex Hat,Houston Texans Repositionable Logo Decal Set Cheap Charlie Whitehurst Jerseys
.washington wizards 2 john wall pink women nba jerseys wholesale cheap,Youth Tennessee Titans Yellow Neon Logo T-Shirt.Men's Dallas Cowboys Charcoal Bendire Pullover Hoodie,Women's New York Jets Nike Green Core Fan Marled Tank Top,Men's New England Patriots Nike Navy Legend Staff Practice Long Sleeve Performance T-Shirt Tennessee Titans: 2016 Season Predictions
LIMIAR receives project requests directly from the Brazilian court or from an institution. Some of the projects LIMIAR has undertaken over the past several years include:
- Monthly support to a 7-year-old girl with significant delays. This support allowed her grandmother to take her from the orphanage, raise her at home, and secure therapy for her.
- Monthly support and donation of a wheelchair for a simple Brazilian family caring for their son, a bearer of severe cerebral palsy.
- Providing soccer equipment, jerseys and shoes for a small orphanage's boys soccer club.
- Helping a couple start a small business in order to earn funds to maintain three grandchildren in their home.
- Enabling a single father to repair and enlarge his home so his 4 children can leave the orphanage and come home.
- Monthly support to impoverished Brazilian families who have adopted ... so as to sustain the placement.
- Establishment of a classroom of 6 computers and teacher at an all-boys orphanage ... giving job skills and incentive to progress in school. This classroom was financed through cooperation with Rotary Club International.
- Airfare to the USA and free health treatment/surgery for children without other resources.
- Artificial legs, prosthesis, wheel chairs, hearing aids, braces, crutches, orthopedic shoes.
- A refurbished sewing machine enabling a mother to earn a living as a seamstress, remove her children from an institution, and raise them at home.
- A small truck given to an orphanage in a rural location, enabling them to purchase food in bulk and transport donated goods.
- Vaccinations for the children of a private orphanage in Fortaleza, Ceara.
- Repairs to/construction of various orphanages.
- The building of small, simple houses for families throughout Brazil in attempts to keep the family together.
- Scholarships for a deaf child and for a developmentally challenged child to attend special schools in São Paulo.
- Support of three teens at a two-year technical college in Ohio, USA. These children came through governmental orphanages with a strong desire to better themselves and not repeat the cycle of poverty. They are studying law and hotel management.